Thursday, April 8, 2010

The Beautiful, Scenic, River Des Peres Greenway



With the weather turning, I decided to take a bike ride down the scenic River Des Peres Greenway in deep south-west St. Louis. Sure, the trail's not incredibly scenic, and the air along the trail smells of a frothy mixture of car exhaust, sewage, and mothballs.

But it's a good ride, and it's reassuring that I am a bike ride away from anywhere in the world. The trail ends at the Shrewsbury Metro station. I can hop the Metrolink, get off at Civic Center, and catch a Greyhound or Amtrack. Or, I could take the 'link to the end of the line, Lambert Airport, and fly to Morrocco.

But city folk beware. Foxes and coyotes are plentiful along the River Des Peres. Hell, I'm scared of dogs, so keep your eyes peeled.

According to my Grandpa, he used to sail the river when he was a kid, much like our friends at Dudes Mag, who floated it. My grandpa said it was not uncommon to see human shit floating in the sewage. HOT!!

No comments:

Post a Comment